Year 6 were invited to send representatives to attend a Swanage Town Council Beach Management Committee meeting. They were exceptionally fortunate as the meeting took place at the town’s new RNLI Station, which is still being completed and is closed to the public. They were the first school group to have a tour!
The School Council and Green Team members discussed aspects of the town’s tourism industry with their families and peers before each writing two questions to ask at the meeting.
Their questions were:
- Why are there no bins on the beach?
- Could we have a splash park in the town?
- Why is there no green area where we can play sport without dogs mess?
- Why do boats come so close to the shoreline?
- Can you make the locks on the toilet doors easier to use?
- Could you close the seafront all year around?
They brought the committee’s answers back to share with their classmates.